Our day-to-day adventures as we experience life abroad.

Friday, April 06, 2007

Ask and You Shall Receive

When Jonathan and I first learned we were moving here, one of my biggest initial concerns was whether or not we'd have access to salsa. Don't laugh. I really, really love salsa.

Before hitting the panic button, I decided to wait until we got here and see what was available. Turns out, practically nothing. I didn't realize Heinz made salsa. That's what's available here. It tastes like ketchup.

I immediately went on a rant of self-pity. When people asked me how Russia was, I'd respond, "Beautiful, but there's no salsa." I didn't realize how many people were paying attention.

Next thing I knew, gifts of salsa were being bestowed upon me from near and far. Jonathan brought me some from an American store in Moscow. Friends and family from the states shipped it to me. Coworkers who went home for visits brought some back with them. And before I knew all that was happening, I agreed to split a case order with a friend.

Suddenly I had a shelf in my kitchen bending from the weight of salsa. I have never felt so loved.

Jonathan swore I'd never be able to eat it all before we left here. "We're going to be taking this with us to our next post," he said. "Next time be careful what you ask for."

He was wrong.

Ten months, and many tacos, burritos, rice and beans, fajitas, and huevos rancheros later, I have run out. As I type this, I'm sitting down to a plate of nachos that I made using the last drops of my last jar of salsa. Mmm-mmm.

But please don't send me more. I just ordered a whole mess of it from netgrocer.com. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home